Town Hall Services

If you have questions regarding official documents, records, licenses, and registrations, contact the Town Clerk. For tax inquiries, contact the Tax Collector.

Tax Collector

Phone: (603) 742-2510
Fax: (603) 740-0254
Webpage for the Tax Collector’s Office »

Town Clerk

Maggie McCauley
Phone: (603) 742-2510
Fax: (603) 740-0254
Webpage for the Town Clerk’s Office »

Additional Town Contacts

Building Inspector | Code Enforcement | Health Officer | Land Use Administrator

Tom Clark

Property Assessment

Road Agent

Nathan Mears
(603) 742-0831

Welfare Administrator

The Town contracts with the City of Somersworth for welfare administration services.

Kristen LaPanne

Facilities & Transfer Station Manager

Nathan Mears

Emergency Services


Rollinsford Fire

(603) 742-2803
RFD webpage »
RFD on Facebook »

*The Fire Station is NOT STAFFED around the clock. For emergency assistance, please call 911. If you leave a message, please allow 24-48 hours for a return call.

Rollinsford Police

York Ambulance

Contacting Town Representatives

You will find contact information for town representatives located throughout the site. If you are looking for a Board or Committee member, you will find their contact information on their respective group’s page. You can also use the search feature (located at the top of every page) to locate people on the Rollinsford site.

Request Public Information

Under the New Hampshire Right to Know Law RSA Ch. 91-A et seq, you have the right to request the opportunity to inspect or obtain copies of public records. To learn more about what government records are available to you, and which are exempt, refer to the official memorandum on the law. Details start on pages 26 & 27 of the document.
To fill out a request, use our online Public Information Request form.

Support Services

If you are experiencing unexpected financial hardship, or if you have a question regarding services in our community (including elderly care, disability support, substance abuse issues, and veterans affairs), contact the Welfare Administrator to help you locate resources that are available for your situation. You can also find more options (including a 24-hour helpline) on our Public Assistance page.