In the 1800s, the small town of Rollinsford was comprised of two distinct communities: the industrial mill village of Salmon Falls, largely populated by recent immigrants, and the outlying farms worked by old Yankee families. Mill and Farm: The Two Faces of a New England Town, a new exhibit at the Colonel Paul Wentworth House, illustrates these two different aspects of life in the town in the 19thand early 20thcenturies.
Through the stories of individual families and through objects such as tools, account books, school records, dance cards, and photographs, the exhibit compares and contrasts the lives of Rollinsford’s farmers and mill workers. Many of the objects are on loan from private collections and have not been previously exhibited.
The exhibit is open to visitors from 1 to 4 pm on Sundays until mid-October. Admission to the house and the exhibit is $5; free for ARCH members and children under 16. Additionally, throughout the month of August, admission is free for all Rollinsford residents.
Maintained by the Association for Rollinsford Culture and History (ARCH), the circa 1701 Wentworth House is located on Water Street in Rollinsford, NH and hosts living history events, exhibits, and school and youth programs. For more information about this and other events at the Wentworth House, consult the ARCH website at paulwentworthhouse.org or on Facebook at The Colonel Paul Wentworth House.