Town of Rollinsford, New Hampshire
Title: Deputy Tax Collector
Hours: Part-time, Hourly (up to 160 hours per year, as needed basis)
Pay Rate: $17.61 hourly (starting rate, depending on qualifications)
Supervisors: Select Board, Town Administrator
Date Approved: January 1, 2023
Assists the Tax Collector with administration of the full cycle of property tax billing and collecting with optimum accuracy and efficiency. Must adhere to all State laws and regulations including the Code of Ethics for Tax Collectors.The Deputy Tax Collector is an official appointed by the Select Board to provide assistance and coverage to the Tax Collector as necessary.
Summary of essential job functions
The following job functions describe the responsibilities of the Tax Collector. The function of a Deputy Tax Collector is to provide the same level of service and function to the residents of Rollinsford in the Tax Collector’s absence or as requested by the Tax Collector.
- Responsible for the planning, organization and sending of tax bills in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Collect, deposit and record receipt of all property taxes with attention to detail.
- Prepare deposits daily/weekly as seasonally appropriate and provide the Treasurer with copies in a timely manner.
- Balance accounts(s) and prepare monthly reports for the Treasurer.
- Prepare and mail delinquent notices according to best practices.
- Prepare notices to taxpayers and mortgage holders of tax liabilities, liens and tax deeds.
- Performs property tax lien(s) with the Registry of Deeds in accordance with RSA’s.
- Provides customer service to the general public for tax related and general information.
- Work closely with Cemetery Trustees to prepare documents, deposit funds and maintain records for purchase and transfer of lots in New Town and Old Town Cemeteries.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have or be able to attain a working knowledge of the applicable New Hampshire laws and regulations as related to the essential job functions
- High School or GED diploma required; 2- or 4-year college degree in related field preferred
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and attention to detail are required
- Must be at least 18
- Subject to background check
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibility from time to time, as needed. This job description does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise.